List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Keramik feelings and sounds...
From:       "Steven D'Aprano" <dippy () cosmos ! net ! au>
Date:       2002-07-04 12:54:52

On Thu,  4 Jul 2002 10:31, Neil Stevens wrote:

> But it's only intuitive that a big bulky UI would have inertia!
>
> We're always being told to be intuitive!  Here's a golden
> opportunity!

I suppose you are being sarcastic, but this is a good time to remind
people of a couple of things:

(1) The only truly intuitive interface is the nipple. Everything else
is learnt.

(2) Ease-of-learning is only one factor among many that makes an
interface great. Ease-of-use is another. They are not the same thing.

And at all time, the most important factor must be: usefulness. It
doesn't matter how great your UI is, if the program doesn't do anything
useful, then no-one will use it. If the real world gives you barriers
and difficulties, why implement them in software? That is why text
editors don't duplicate type-writers *exactly*. If you make a mistake,
you don't have to throw away the entire page and re-type the lot from
scratch.

--
Steven D'Aprano