List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Keramik feelings and sounds...
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2002-07-03 1:37:46

On Tuesday 02 July 2002 15:11, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:

<snip>

> [Even a Crash would be keramik]
> Well, I don't have to tell what came in my mind as a sound for an app's
> crash, do I? ;)
>
> [Pottery is heavy so what about inertia?]
> Back to the feeling. When moving widgets like scrollbars or windows,
> would it be cool if they would behave like real gadgets and show
> inertia? Something for force feedback mouses, I guess though... my mouse
> is a light one so I never would get the real feeling. Perhaps I can
> stick a litte stone inside when using the keramik style...
>
> Well... there is not anybody between you that would be able to create
> such sounds, I fear. But isn't it nice to share at least this dream?

Oh, I don't think creating the sounds would be such a problem. I personally
don't use much in the way of sounds for these events (they intrude on my
concentration when I'm trying to work, and I prefer not to have such things
going on when I'm possibly listening to something else, like a RealAudio
stream), but I can see where plenty of people would like them, and I think it
would truly be cool.

However, I'd be a little concerned with the idea of "inertia". There are some
things in the real world that shouldn't be modeled. As I'm fond of telling
people, "the idea of a GUI isn't to model reality... it's to improve on it,"
something Apple should have realized when they made that abominable QuickTime
interface. For example, a friend came up with a "3-D shopping mall"... while
it SOUNDS cool, actually USING it sucks big-time compared to the ease of
using regular hyperlinks. I strongly suspect that "inertia" would fall into
the same category. Too many people would mistake it for sluggish performance.

--
Dave Leigh, Consulting Systems Analyst
Cratchit.org

It's only by NOT taking the human race seriously that I retain
what fragments of my once considerable mental powers I still possess.
		-- Roger Noe