List:       kde-look
Subject:    Keramik feelings and sounds...
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2002-07-02 20:11:42

Hi to those who haven't unsubscripted!

Just want to share this:
Still haven't worked out the metadata stuff (lack of time) today in a
break I was looking at some kde 3.1 alpha screenshots on the web. Style
was Keramik, and while trying to find out if it looks awesome or not, I
thought what it would be like to use this style (myself being stuck to
an untouchable 2.2).

[Does not only look but sound like cKeramick]
I realized that in my imagination all the clicks and moves on the screen
also resulted in potterish sounds: click on a button sounded like a dip
on a plate of pottery, close to a bell, rolling the windows up and town
was like moving a plate over another, broader one...

[Scrollbars ends lead to "bong"]
Even the scrollbars sounded like a real ceramic thing: when scrolling up
by grapping the bar and pushing it to an end, reaching the end resulted
in a little nice "bong". Perhaps this sound event should be added as a
feature to KDE itself.

[Even a Crash would be keramik]
Well, I don't have to tell what came in my mind as a sound for an app's
crash, do I? ;)

[Pottery is heavy so what about inertia?]
Back to the feeling. When moving widgets like scrollbars or windows,
would it be cool if they would behave like real gadgets and show
inertia? Something for force feedback mouses, I guess though... my mouse
is a light one so I never would get the real feeling. Perhaps I can
stick a litte stone inside when using the keramik style...

Well... there is not anybody between you that would be able to create
such sounds, I fear. But isn't it nice to share at least this dream?

Heading for my bed...

Friedrich