List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Moving away from app-centric mimetypes (e.g. kword)
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2002-05-19 18:13:43

Sven Niedner schrieb:
> Another useful thing would be storing the history of a file:  you write
> a letter to X using a template. Another day, you load it, modify it,
> and save it under a different name. This letter should remember its
> parent(s), and the initial template. Meta data should be inherited,
> too.

I know this is a common behaviour.

But... what if there were an option to "open as copy"? Would people use
it, when they were about to use an existing document as template for a
new?

IMHO it is totally wrong/unsecure to edit an existing document which is
intended to be the start of another one. I have often seen people who
accidentally clicked on "save" instead of "save as..." loosing the old
document's content.

I agree on the other hand that a "save as..." might have it's advantages
if one decides in the middle of the editing the actual document should
become a new one in parralel to the original one.

Friedrich