List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Moving away from app-centric mimetypes (e.g. kword)
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2002-05-19 16:05:52

Dave Leigh schrieb:
[SNIP]
> The resulting problems included (obviously) revisions to documentation, but
> also locating associated projects that (proposed or implemented) that impact
> mine. For instance, if I want to make a change to the Business Rules Engine,
> as part of my analysis I need to see every existing proposal that affects the
> files I propose to change. Current approaches to this require specialized
> (i.e. expensive) skills to do the ERP.

Just for the record: What stands ERP for?

> Among the possible benefits of this approach are:
> * support for revision control for every file in the system. It doesn't
> require training or approval of a business unit, because it's mostly
> transparent to them. They're already used to seeing a message when someone
> else has access to a file... they'd simply be able to see this directly in
> Konqueror... they could check in and out, and see a properties tab that could
> show revisions.
> * the ability to do full-text indexing on a filesystem

Pardon, how do you think this to be implemented? With one big central
database where the indices are updated with each save/synchronisation of
a file? Or with the word indices stored in the metadata of a file so a
search has to scan through all metadata?

> * the ability to query specific documentation
> * the ability to query RELATED documentation

Please, could you give an example for both?

> * the ability to replicate portions of the file system without regard to the
> hierarchal directory structure.

Oh dear, I don't get anything. How is this related?

> * the ability to concentrate on your specific job rather using existing,
> unmodified tools rather than on some monster system to store all this stuff.
> Directories, for example, can be given default metadata that are inherited by
> any file created there. The file can then retain those metadata even if moved
> within the filesystem. The act of moving the file could impart new metadata,
> so that a single file could be of multiple "kind."

Where could this imparting of new metadata be useful? Pardon, give us
please another example :)

Thank you

Friedrich