List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: "Next Link" icon.
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2002-04-30 4:53:57

On Monday 29 April 2002 22:23, Sean Pecor wrote:
> On Monday 29 April 2002 19:23, Dave Leigh wrote:

> More and more I think that the whole Unix Philosophy (TM) of creating
> simple extensions via piped applications just can't be applied to a desktop
> environment's application interface. There simply isn't a realistic
> translation. From a programmer's perspective, console tools can interact
> (via piping) without being developed with the same API. Furthermore, they

I don't agree. Examples abound. One example is my signature line. In kmail
your signature can be a program. Mine happens to be a bash shell script I
called "varisig" which combines the .signature file with the output of
fortune. Other X apps provide additional functionality through pipes to do
such things as spell-checking. My Klipper talks to an existing Opera process
through Opera's -remote switch to pull up tell Opera I want to open another
page, not another instance of Opera. The challenge for the developers is to
provide a robust scripting interface. The UI challenge is the presentation of
that interface.

--
Dave Leigh, Consulting Systems Analyst
Cratchit.org

"Every morning, I get up and look through the 'Forbes' list of the
richest people in America.  If I'm not there, I go to work"
		-- Robert Orben