On Monday 29 April 2002 22:23, Sean Pecor wrote: > On Monday 29 April 2002 19:23, Dave Leigh wrote: > More and more I think that the whole Unix Philosophy (TM) of creating > simple extensions via piped applications just can't be applied to a desktop > environment's application interface. There simply isn't a realistic > translation. From a programmer's perspective, console tools can interact > (via piping) without being developed with the same API. Furthermore, they ... I don't agree. Examples abound. One example is my signature line. In kmail your signature can be a program. Mine happens to be a bash shell script I called "varisig" which combines the .signature file with the output of fortune. Other X apps provide additional functionality through pipes to do such things as spell-checking. My Klipper talks to an existing Opera process through Opera's -remote switch to pull up tell Opera I want to open another page, not another instance of Opera. The challenge for the developers is to provide a robust scripting interface. The UI challenge is the presentation of that interface. -- Dave Leigh, Consulting Systems Analyst Cratchit.org http://www.cratchit.org 864-427-7008 (direct) AIM or Yahoo!: leighdf MSN: leighdf29379@hotmail.com ICQ: 37839381 "Every morning, I get up and look through the 'Forbes' list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work" -- Robert Orben