List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: "Next Link" icon.
From:       Sean Pecor <sean () digitalspinner ! com>
Date:       2002-04-29 20:25:56

On Monday 29 April 2002 11:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> This is the way you get MS Office and its enormous bloat, with a
> zillion features that only get used by one person in a thousand,
> perhaps once or twice a year.

I don't disagree with you if what you're complaining about is the vast number
of features built into the core of Microsoft Office. But software features
rarely kill a software product. Much more often it's the lack of features
that drag a software product to it's death.

> No offence Sean, but 90% of the
> functionality you ask for is only useful for you and the specific --
> and unusual -- way you choose to work.

I don't take offense at that unless you're implying that I stop making
suggestions :). If I make 24 suggestions a year, and 1 or 2 of them actually
make it into the product then I'm quite happy! The majority of my feature
suggestions are put directly into bugs.kde.org as a wish item. Those I don't
mention here. After all I already think its a good idea, why should I ask
others for my own opinion <grin>? I post a concept here when I'm not 100%
sure about the concept and would like feedback. In my opinion it is through
this feedback that a concept gets refined, or other more interesting ideas
emerge.

> "Next link" may or may not be useful. Actually, I think it could be
> very useful. But it isn't a look-and-feel issue, its a functionality
> issue, and one that should be solved by Dave's suggested "pluggable
> add-ons".

I think any piece of functionality that has an impact on the core User
Interface is a look and feel issue first, and a functionality issue second.
If we boil down kde-look to "look and feel" issues only, then this is going
to be a pretty dead list :(

Sean.

--
Digital Spinner, Inc.
Cutting edge web design and applications development.