List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Incorporating usability changes
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-03-19 1:18:38

hi..

> 	Are the changes we make only going to be integrated into the newest
> versions of KDE?  Is there any simple way to make patches which will update
> older versions of KDE (e.g. the KDE2 series)?
> 	Having such a system might be useful should we find glarings bugs across
> all versions of KDE that beg for patching.

many critical bug fixes have been backported to the 2.2.2 branch .. the
problem is that one needs to have the 2.2.2 branch sources as well as HEAD
and spend time compiling and testing both ... finding people willing to do
that can be a bit difficult for anything non critical. and no, most UI fixes
are not that sort of "critical".

another challenge is that some fixes require changes to the source that may
break binary compatibility or translations, things that you can't do in the
2.2.2 branch. if a change is substantial and can threaten the stability of
the the 2.2.2 branch, it is also a no-no. and sometimes the changes are so
large that you are basically left to port the kde3 version to kde 2.2.2, in
which case people may as well just use kde3, no?

as a final damper, very few distros will be releasing new KDE2 binaries and
from here on out the majority will move to KDE3, meaning that whatever
further work you put into KDE2 will be seen and used by a smaller and smaller
number of people.

so given that there is limited time and resources, it might be best to help
further the going concern. of course, you are more than welcome to do as you
will with your time =)

/me notes that KDE1 isn't maintained anymore either.

--
Aaron Seigo