List:       kde-look
Subject:    File dialog (item arrangement)
From:       Wilco Greven <j.w.greven () student ! utwente ! nl>
Date:       2002-03-02 10:19:11

Hi,

On Saturday 02 March 2002 08:02, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi...
>
> > My biggest bugbear about the Windows file dialog, which KDE sadly has
> > copied, is the brain-dead "horizontal" format.
>
> kde3's default is better than what was in kde2 (no more horizontal
> scrolling)... and if you want a strictly vertical listing, select the
> "Detailed View" and voila! i personally find it easier as well ...

I believe the KDE3 default is terrible. Here's how a part of /bin would appear
in the file dialog:

* arch            * ash             * bash
* cat             * chgrp           * chmod
* chown           * cp              * cpio
* date            * dd              * df
* dir             * dmesg           * dnsdomainname
* domainname      * echo            * ed
* egrep           * false           * fdflush
* fgrep           * fuser           * grep
* gunzip          * gzexe           * gzip

There's a vertical scrollbar.

The mind will still group the items in columns, because that's how they're
visually arranged. Because the alphabetical arrangement is rowwise, it makes
scanning really hard (IMO).

I think the best arrangement would be telephonebook-style, i.e. the KDE2
default with a vertical scrollbar instead. Unfortunately QIconView doesn't
have such a mode.

Greetings,
Wilco