List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: File dialogs functions.
From:       Sean Pecor <sean () digitalspinner ! com>
Date:       2002-03-03 2:00:24

On Friday 01 March 2002 23:44, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> My biggest bugbear about the Windows file dialog, which KDE sadly has
> copied, is the brain-dead "horizontal" format.

Amen brother!

> And if you don't believe me, look at a shopping list you have written,

I don't think a chicken scratch font would improve my ability to scan for
files :).

> I think having commands available from a right-click is sufficient,
> and it doesn't clutter the dialog.

I agree.

I think a file save dialog could me made somewhat smarter by remembering the
last 'n' directories the application has saved stuff to, as well as the last
'n' directories that ANY kde application has saved stuff to. If a file open
dialog behaved in a similar way, then there would be some utility in this.
The theory is that by providing a "history" list box that shows these
"recent" directories in a predictable way can really begin to save time after
you "rev up" for the day.

OTOH, I don't work much from this direction. I open a few project directories
via konqueror (detailed list view) and let mime handling do the rest. That
way I don't have to deal with  'n' different programs doing file management
in 'n' different ways.

Sean.

--
Digital Spinner, Inc.
Cutting edge web design and applications development.