List:       kde-usability
Subject:    KDE configuration files
From:       Eric E <whalesuit () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-03-01 0:00:59

Hi all,
	After a recent semi-crash where my machine wouldn't start X in runlevel 5, I
found myself poring through config files trying to figure out what might have
changed to make KDM not launch properly.

	In my experience when a KDE app or piece of the desktop won't launch, it's
often because of some bogus config file element.  It's very aggravating for
the user, who is faced with an app that for some reason won't launch.  For
example, I install the liquid style in KDE2, made a copy my .kde for kde3,
then turned on styles in KDE3b2, and all sorts of desktop elements wouldn't
work because that style was busted.  But there's not really anything wrong
with KDE - it'd work great with another style.

So is there anyway we can develop an general architecture to handle bad
options?  (Note, I'm NOT reopening the registry vs. text files debate)
	1) What comes to my mind are logging options that make something crash.  (I
recognize this may be hard in practice).  At the very least, some kind of
keeping track of this will point us at potential instabilities.
	2) Developing a program which scans option files to determine potential
problems, perhaps using the results of 1)

Thoughts?

Cheers,

EE