List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Sense people had brought up login screens...
From:       Eric E <whalesuit () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-02-22 20:09:29

On Friday 22 February 2002 04:05 am, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On February 22, 2002 11:57 am, Karim Elaagouby wrote:
> > Quite frankly we should leave kdm alone.And focus
> > on other parts that still need enhancements.
>
> agreed ... there are so many parts of kde that are rather less usable and
> capable than kdm is.

I agree, but there are two features that I think would make KDE much more
useful:

1) Allowing multiple users to logon at the same time.  I'm told GDM does this,
but I've been too lazy to replace KDM with GDM and try it.  Perhaps I will
today.

2) Rehoming - in a networked situation, letting users store their settings
while moving from computer to computer really reduces the amount of
administration time.  Almost all academic computing clusters use some scheme
for this.  If KDM could be told where to find your original home directory,
then KDE could almost certainly run locally (libs & executables), and read
and write from settings on a remote box using appropriate kioslaves.  Options
might include:
	- run from a local .kde directory (creating it if necessary)
	- cache a remote dir and run from there (changes to settings are lost...)
	- run directly from a remote .kde directory
Additionally, this could let KDM do some resource-finding on the remote
machine, then making  KDE aware of the progs and files on the remote machine,
and could make those seem as if they're local. Tough security and
version-compatibility questions all over this one for sure, but it'd make KDE
a lot more network-transparent.

This rant probably belongs on kde-look, which I'm trying to get shaking again,
but I figured I'd start in the usability camp.

Cheers,

Eric