List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Konqueror design proposal
From:       Roland Riegel <roland.riegel.maillist () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-02-17 16:26:09

Am Sonntag, 17. Februar 2002 16:43 schrieb Dave Leigh:
> Did you label these properly?
>
> The vertical buttons have two purposes:
> 1. As a control, they select the contents of the treeview,
> 2. As an indicator, the display the category of the currently displayed
> contents.

Yes, of course.

> http://www.roland-riegel.de/konq/konq.png is much better in every regard,
> IMHO. It's cleaner, _clearly_ associates the button with the content, and
> has that lovely drop-shadow effect that makes it instantly clear which icon
> is selected.
>
> http://www.roland-riegel.de/konq/konq_prop.png has none of the above. The
> indication of the selected icon is so subtle that it can easily be missed,
> depending on your theme.

Hmm, I think it is clear that the currently activated button indicates the
currently chosen treeview.

I am not an expert in graphics at all, but I associate a sunken button with
"pressed" ("activated"), and a raised one with "not pressed". This is exactly
the other way round as it is in CVS now. In CVS the activated button is
raised, and all the others are flat. I never saw a case where the activated
button looks not pressed. For an example in real-life there are these old
radio receivers with buttons. You press one, and all the others automatically
jump out and are therefore not pressed.

Of course it is a matter of style if a non-active button is drawn sunken
(that is the darker edges are on the top and the left) or drawn without
border at all (flat). In my proposal I drew the unpressed buttons flat,
because they should be consistent with the two other buttons at the top
seperated by the horizontal stripe.

My main concern about current CVS is the black vertical line on the left of
the vertical button bar and the sunken/raised issue discussed above.

I put up a slightly improved version of my proposal regarding your "lovely
drop-shadow effect":
http://www.roland-riegel.de/konq/konq_prop2.png

Roland

--