List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Maybe a good idea : Konqi Desktop Buddy
From:       "Beumer" <beumer0 () chello ! nl>
Date:       2001-11-26 13:36:42

Hi,

I think the reason clippy is so much hated is because, just like the rest of
the M$ Platform, it does not do what you want it to do. Clippy pops messages
and stupid tips while you are writing your documents, and that's when people
get frustrated.
When you make a (Konqi-style:) so-called "desktopbuddy" wich only perfoms
actions when you ask it, it will not irritate you, but give you that extra
eye-candy wich will only be in KDE bennefit.
Design a desktopbuddy as a pure replacement for the KDE-Menu, not as a
irritating tips-n-ticks spawning clippy imitation. Let him do what your
"Start-button" in windows does, but then pretier, smoother, and animated as
our little dragon. Then, in particalur with the younger and less "techie"
public (cmon, that's the people we would like to use KDE too right?), it
will be loved and become one of the strongest trademarks of the KDE (maybe a
little axeggerated but hey... :-)

With kind regards,

Marcel Beumer.