List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Maybe a good idea : Konqi Desktop Buddy
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2001-11-26 13:24:45

On Monday 26 November 2001 08:06, David Golden wrote:
> Devil's advocate mode engaged:

Mode indicator noted.

> Clippy does suck -  but is that simply because MS implemented the idea
> spectacularly badly?   For one thing, clippy interrupts your work, with
> always-on-top dialogs, and doesn't get out of the way when it is told to,
> and is difficult to completely disable (you have to massacre the Actors
> direcotry of Office), often coming back when it is closed.

I think the concept is basically flawed. Look at what it does... Clippy waits
until you are attempting to perform a task, recognizes the task that you are
performing, and then offers assistance. Sound reasonable? Then think about
this: it can't recognize that you're attempting to do something unless you're
already doing it.

In other words, Clippy, /by design/, attempts to assist you with those tasks
for which  you don't require assistance. Doesn't sound so reasonable anymore.
Doesn't even sound necessary, or even smart. Sounds like an annoying
distraction, really.

> At the same time, things like AMOR, Sheep, etc are extremely popular among
> a certain segment of the population.  They hang around pulling faces etc,
> but do not interrupt your workflow demanding a response.  Why not make them
> pop up the occasional context-sensitive useful tip, instead of the
> completely random tips currently popped up?

Remember that Clippy is an assistant, it is NOT help. By this I mean that it
goes beyond informational messages and attempts to do for you. By its nature
it demands a response. On the other hand, something like GNOME's "Wanda the
Fish," modified to simply display context-sensitive tips, would be far less
offensive.

I'm not entirely opposed to assistants, either. I think, if implemented, they
should stay in the bit-corral until summoned BY THE USER. The time to invoke
such a thing is NOT when the user is already demonstrating competence (as
Microsoft does). The time to invoke an assistant is when the user admits he
needs the help.

> One other note: a lot of the time, people I've seen using Office, when they
> encountered a bug/asked for help,  blamed clippy (even hitting the screen),
> rather than blaming the real culprits, Microsoft.  I'd be interested to
> know how much this displacment of blame helped MS's public image.  People
> may hate Clippy, but they were hating Clippy, rather than attacking some
> hapless support tech.  They may hat MS for inventing clippy, in turn, but
> that's "one hate", rather than lots of hates for all the bugs...

Hmmm. Let me paraphrase this: "MS created a scapegoat rather than accept
responsibility for poor design and fix it.  Therefore (by inference) it might
be a good idea for US to create a scapegoat. That way we won't have to fix
our mistakes... we can blame the *cartoon* instead."

That said, I think it's an interesting observation. I also wonder how much
mileage Gates got out of blaming the cartoon.

--
dave.leigh@cratchit.org
http://www.cratchit.org

"Cogito ergo I'm right and you're wrong."
-- Blair Houghton