List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Maybe a good idea : Konqi Desktop Buddy
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2001-11-26 12:47:32

On Monday 26 November 2001 05:02, Beumer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At the time of writing i just got a good idea for a feature of future
> releases of KDE. However i'm not a Qt/KDE developer, i think with the
> current modules of Qt, there is more there can be done with this API then
> currently used. For instance, the OpenGL modules seems very intresesting.
>
> I think, adressing the look-n-feel issue, KDE misses something like a
> so-called "desktop buddy" like the MS Office suite has the "paperclip"
> wizzard. Why not making a simple Konqi desktop application?
>
> My idea was to animate a the nice green dragon to a simple
> (GIF/ANI/FLI/Whatever) and let the developers among program the
> functionality of letting the creature do the "run..." command, as well as
> some help function or perhaps a complete replacement for the "KDE Menu".
> Like i said before, (realtime)rendering of the creature with the OpenGL
> module in Qt, looks like a great feature too.
>
> A desktopbuddy in form of Konqi, would greatly personalize the K Desktop
> Environment, and could make it even more popular as is already is.
>
> Please tell me what you think of my little brainstorm,

Oh, boy. Please remember you asked for an opinion. I'll try to be kind.

I'm hoping that this is a joke. "Clippy" is the most derided, most hated
feature of Windows according to most polls, and is the one feature Windows
users most frequently request disabled. Yet here you are suggesting that KDE
"misses" this abhorrent, unwanted, unnecessary feature. Rather than making
KDE more popular than it is, such a mistake would give quite a boost to
GNOME, IMHO.

If you love KDE, please lock this suggestion in a vault in the deepest,
darkest sub-basement you can find. Then fill the sub-basement with cement.

--
dave.leigh@cratchit.org
http://www.cratchit.org

November, n.: