List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Passive message popup class
From:       Richard Moore <rich () ipso-facto ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-11-24 19:39:29

On Friday 23 November 2001 12:37 pm, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 12:33:08AM +0000, Richard Moore wrote:
> > As part of my plan to improve the way KDE apps interact with the task
> > manager, I've just finished a passive popup class that lets you display a
> > message next to the taskbar icon. The popup does not interupt the user
> > (hence the name 'passive'). The implementation uses the standard icon
> > geometry properties from the WM specs, so it should work with any WM and
> > taskbar.
> >
> > I've attached, the code, a demo app, the docs and a small piccy. I'd like
> > to see this (and hopefully some other related tools) in the 3.0 api. Any
> > comments?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Rich.
>
> I think it really has potential; it looks quite nice ;)
> It still has a lot of work to be done and one of them is that multiple
> windows can gather on top of each other making it hard to read some (they
> dissapear too fast)

The timeout is configurable, so this is easy to solve. I thought about making
them hide automatically when clicked too (optional of course) which helps too.

> I will not comment on KDE3 possebilities, but I would sure like to see a
> whole lot of functionality brought to the user this way!
>
> Then again; if only someone can make the kasbar not take space away from
> maximized windows this would actually be useful since now I rarely have
> kasbar open, its iconified most of the time here..

That is the responsibility of the extension API stuff in kicker - I can't do
anything about it.

> ps. it only compiled after adding #include <qpixmap.h>

Yeah, I developed it using Qt 2/KDE 2.2 so I was getting it implicitly. I've
fixed it here.

Cheers

Rich.