List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Passive message popup class
From:       Richard Moore <rich () ipso-facto ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-11-24 19:09:20

On Friday 23 November 2001 11:12 am, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> #if Richard Moore
>
> > As part of my plan to improve the way KDE apps interact with the task
> > manager, I've just finished a passive popup class that lets you display a
> > message next to the taskbar icon. The popup does not interupt the user
> > (hence the name 'passive'). The implementation uses the standard icon
> > geometry properties from the WM specs, so it should work with any WM and
> > taskbar.
> >
> > I've attached, the code, a demo app, the docs and a small piccy. I'd like
> > to see this (and hopefully some other related tools) in the 3.0 api. Any
> > comments?
>
> We already have KNotify, which provides a flexible mechanism for giving
> feedback to users. I would prefer this to be an addition to KNotify
> rather than another shape of wheel :)

Sure, but KNotify can just call KPassivePopup. :-)

The trouble is that the KNotify api is very limited, take a look at the
following messages for some of the ideas

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=99849060431809&w=2
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=99678258024202&w=2

BTW I've now added a new class to the test app that let you display messages
in the titlebar (and WM icon).

Cheers

Rich.