List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Pop-up alert dialogs..
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2001-11-21 19:17:48

On Wednesday 21 November 2001 13:38, Henry Stanaland wrote:

> Well there are already lots of security programs that e-mail you
> when something's up.  I don't think popup dialog boxes are on
> the magnitude that need to be e-mailed(can you imagine getting
> an e-mail saying "You've got mail" because a dialog popped up
> saying you've got mail).  I like the suggestion of an icon in the
> toolbar.  It could be made so that when you click on it, it will
> show you the last so many messages.

Correct. Mail notification serves a different purpose than a notification
applet. Mail notification is appropriate for services that typically run on
an unattended box (a server). It's a simple way of getting the message to
someone who may or may not be on that box (often to the pager of a net tech)

The KDE component we're talking about doesn't make sense for any purpose
other than an interactive desktop environment. On a desktop it makes very
little sense to require the user to open a mail client to find out something
when the very purpose is immediate notification. For this reason it's better
to use something that appears in an application dock.  The niche for this is
those messages that should immediately notify the user without interrupting
him.

--
dave.leigh@cratchit.org
http://www.cratchit.org