List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Pop-up alert dialogs..
From:       Henry Stanaland <henryst () MIT ! EDU>
Date:       2001-11-21 18:38:01

On Wednesday 21 November 2001 08:34 am, David Golden wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 November 2001 11:58, Neil Stevens wrote:
> .
>
> > Since when does KDE require a local MTA?  The system I'm typing from now
> > lacks one.  Considering the problems of security and spam, I think it'd
> > be a bad idea of KDE required one.
>
> Well, why not make it an option, for those of us who _do_ have an MTA ?
>
> (Drifting off-topic for this mailing list:)
>
> And security and spam's not much of a problem with a proper MTA (i.e. not
> f***ing sendmail :-), particularly if the MTA isn't even capable of
> listening for TCP connections on a port, such as postfix with its smtpd
> sub-daemon process simply disabled... (comment out the "smtp inet" line of
> /etc/postfix/master.cf) - local delivery will still work, outgoing smtp can
> still work - it just ignores all incoming smtp...

Well there are already lots of security programs that e-mail you
when something's up.  I don't think popup dialog boxes are on
the magnitude that need to be e-mailed(can you imagine getting
an e-mail saying "You've got mail" because a dialog popped up
saying you've got mail).  I like the suggestion of an icon in the
toolbar.  It could be made so that when you click on it, it will
show you the last so many messages.

May I ask something about this knotify thing.  Is it supposed
to be a more global message thing or just KDE stuff?  As I've
said before I don't like the fact that if you try to start
a program that requires a different lib it doesn't say anything
on the screen, so you have to run stuff from the command line
to see what's up.  What it be possible for KDE to intercept
important system messages like these and tell the user
"The program foo failed to execute because it is missing libjpg.so.3"
or something.  But this could be usefull for USB, DHCP, etc.

Regards,
Henry