List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: File Properties...
From:       Henry Stanaland <henryst () MIT ! EDU>
Date:       2001-11-17 9:06:28

On Friday 16 November 2001 06:24 am, James Davies wrote:
> In windows, when you right click and select properties on a file in
> explorer, You get file properties. No surprise there. But it also allows an
> application to create a custom property page... i.e. Office documents have
> an extra info page. Photoshop files contain a preview and description etc.
> This would be a great thing to impliment in KDE3... and probably wouldnt be
> that hard with KParts. What does everyone think?

Another example I was thinking of today would be for directories.
I'd like to do things like right click on a directory and click
"Use libraries from this directory" and have the directory added
to ld.so.conf.  And perhaps similar things for indirectly editing
fstab and other file-centric configuration files.  Example, right
click on /mnt/cdrom and have check boxes that correspond to fstab
configuration flags.  You would of course have to have a button
that will ask you for the root password.

It's a little different from what you were talking about but I
would like to see more system integration with KDE(not just
those front-ends like kfstab and such--the KDE print system is
awesome!).

Regards,
Henry