List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: File Properties...
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2001-11-17 4:09:05

On Friday 16 November 2001 06:24, James Davies wrote:
> In windows, when you right click and select properties on a file in
> explorer, You get file properties. No surprise there. But it also allows an
> application to create a custom property page... i.e. Office documents have
> an extra info page. Photoshop files contain a preview and description etc.
> This would be a great thing to impliment in KDE3... and probably wouldnt be
> that hard with KParts. What does everyone think?

I, for one, like the idea at first thought.

Examples:
1. In Midnight Commander (text version... I'm not sure about the GNOME
monstrosity of the same name) you can edit a symbolic link.  I don't see why
this shouldn't be editable (to be fair, the properties dialog already shows
where a symlink points... it's just not editable).

2. Device properties should be accessible this way. Currently I access
printer properties by opening a printer dialog, then clicking the
"properties" button, then using the resulting dialog.  Users should think in
terms of properties /of the printer/, so the natural sequence would be to
right click on the printer icon, select properties, and you'd have them right
there.

I'm not at all sure how it would be implemented... it would seem
correct to me that the info on what property pages belong with what files
should be optionally contained in the mimetypes. I'm a version or so behind,
so if this sort of thing is already done then, "Never mind."

--
dave.leigh@cratchit.org
http://www.cratchit.org

Some men rob you with a six-gun -- others with a fountain pen.
		-- Woodie Guthrie