List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: REQUEST: 3d window and mousepointer shadows
From:       "Thomas Schilling" <snuffeler () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-10-23 14:31:57

> and when they do add eyecandy they go to great pains to make it fast. the
> coded widget themes are a good example of that. also, nearly every bit of
> non-essential eye candy can be turned off.

That's what I find very important. Thus you can adjust your KDE as you like.
So finally distributors have to decide which features are appropriate to be
used as default for thair users.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think that working on style is totally useless.
But you shouldn't spend too much time in this - or better think it over how
useful it could really be. That the suggested feature (to come back to the
subject) would not increase usability was 'clear' to me as I read it.
Nevertheless it would be a nice feature if you have 2Ghz or so. But you can
decide yourself what you like to work on and, believe me, I'm also
interested in style cause there's quite much of an artist in me.

> btw, my wife runs KDE2.2 on a pPro 266 and it runs fine. is it slower than
> win98 on the same machine? yes, but not by much, and it enables her to get
> more done by offering things such as a crashless environment, multiple
> desktops, a useful command line, etc. i fully expect the speed bumps to
> become ever more negligable as optimizations continue.

I've some problems to find GOOD graphics programs (Gimp is a usability
horror and it doesn't recognize my installed TrueType fonts). KWrite doesn't
smooth my fonts (currently it even doesn't run cause I yet haven't updated
it) but I have intentions to improve it in another way.

So, question: Where is the right place (mailing list) to suggest to work on
a componental KDE - so no more applications just components? kde-devel?
kde-core-devel? or somewhere else?

- Thomas