List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Help -- dependencies!
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2001-08-18 19:50:33

John Aldrich wrote:

> On Friday 17 August 2001 02:33 pm, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> > How the hell is that going to help matters?  You will still need to
> > upgrade and/or install all of the same packages and more.
> >
> Not NEARLY as many "backward dependencies" should exist. And KDE 2.2 will
> likely be installed by default.

Again, this is not a question about KDE.  IF Red Hat chose to upgrade
the packages and removing them breaks other stuff, it is not about KDE.
The problem is the SPEC file for the packages that RPM says are going to
be broken.  Andrew thinks, probably correctly, that these packages will
not really be broken.  But, if you follow the advice below, you will not
be taking that chance.

> > Can't you simply install these 5 or 6 packages?
> >
> > Install them instead of Upgrading them.  If using the command line RPM:
> >
> >       rpm -ivh
> >
> Oy Vey! You want me to have MULTIPLE versions of libraries and such
> installed???

YES actually.  But, you won't have the number of multiple versions that
you think you might.  In fact, you might not have any.  It is possible
that the new package contains a new version of each and every file in
the old package.  If that is the case, when you choose the option
"--replacefiles", all of the old ones will be replaced and the only
difference is that RPM's database will be happy.

> How smart is THAT??? Wasn't there a discussion about this recently?

There is no problem as long as the different versions of libraries have
different names.  The problem people were having was that they had
multiple files with the same name but only in deferent locations.

There is only one very minor problem that might in rare cases occur:  If
you actually have different versions of the same library (which by
definition must be in deferent directories) then you need to check to
see that they are properly registered with LD.  In: "ld.so.config" the
newer one should come first on the list.  Then run: "ldconfig" as root.

> I'm sorry... I REALLY don't see the wisdom in installing multiple versions of
> packages other than kernels.

How do you run multiple Kernels at the same time???

You have multiple versions of Glibc installed already.

	rpm -q glibc-2.2.3 --provides | grep libc.so

In any case, this is the only way you are going to accomplish this
without breaking RPM's database, or upgrading piece by piece to the
current Raw Hide or Red Hat 7.2 pre.

JRT