List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] proliferating personal posting
From:       "Akar 'th 'orrible" <akar () optusnet ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-08-10 7:13:47

Hi everyone,

I was thinking of another issue that we should look at as we start this new
list. Expanding the criteria of what is on-topic was very important for kde
support I think but there is another topic to look at.

A lot of regulars on this list will post a reply that in some cases is really
just a comment or an aside (Dre slaps my wrists for this regularly) rather
than an answer to a post. Now I do this personally all the time but strictly
speaking it is not list policy.
      Generally if I think it may be of intrest to kde users as well then I
will send it to the list rather than personal. This is considered a no-no for
bandwidth issues, list members only want to the point replies blah blah.

I think we would be better served to be more diligent in editing our quotes
(remember if you select the relevant bit of text then hit reply, only the
selected bit is quoted) and allowing such comments in an effort to create a
sense of community.

Now we all do this anyhow but as I said it is not really considered right. A
good example is a post I made today to JRT regarding how the new kmail
templates will really help us with repetitive replies. Strictly speaking this
should have been a personal post but I made it to the list because I thought
autoreply templates in kmail would be of intrest to all users.

Another case is that ongoing advice should move to private email, but I also
know that a lot of list members WANT to know the steps that achieve the
result, even if a few are dead ends.

What do you guys / gals think. This is the sort of thing we should outline at
the start of this new list.

Andrew