List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Editing the K menu
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-07-07 20:41:09

Marcelo Amorim wrote:
>  I'm using Fedora Core 3 and I trying to customize
>  the K menu to all systems users, adding some
>  applications developed at my job.
>  Is there any file that control this global
>  configuration?
>  How can I do that?

For each application, you need to create an "*.desktop" file in:
$KDEDIR/share/applications.

Note that these must have:

	Categories=<semicolon;separated;list>;

If not, it won't show up. And it must have a category that is in the
existing menu structure or your new item will show up in: "Lost & Found".

If you need to add additional menu categories, you can do that by adding
a file to:

	/etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged

or

	$KDEDIR/etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged

and a "*.directory" file to:

	$KDEDIR/usr/share/desktop-directories

If you need to do this, ask for help if you need it.

--
JRT