List:       kde-linux
Subject:    RE: [kde-linux] "setting up interprocess communication"
From:       "Dave Nebinger" <dnebinger () joat ! com>
Date:       2005-03-22 21:47:59

> Why the hell does KDE care what video card I'm using or driver?
> This seems that KDE should be talking to X which talks to
> nvidia driver. Isn't that the whole point of the API?

First you should be happy it's working ;-)

In actuality, you haven't rooted out the true source of the issue and are
making assumptions of what KDE is doing.

Any call to X is going to drill through xorg plus the xorg based nvidia
driver (which in turn is calling through to your nvidia kernel module).  KDE
is drilling through the kde libs, then through qt, then to the X layers.
Many different possibilities of the true point of failure.

Calls to the driver can be bypassed using opengl (and probably other
methods).

Just because gnome et al. don't suffer the same fate simply means that they
are not getting to similar points that KDE got to pretty fast.  It doesn't
mean that upon using some gnome app that relies on the same functionality at
the X layer or further down that the gnome app wouldn't suffer the same
fate.

As I've said before I've had issues with the nvidia driver.  I don't trust
them any more and replace nvidia with ati whenever I can.