List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] How to prevent audio device change owner after
From:       Rocky Zhang <rocky () userful ! com>
Date:       2005-03-07 18:46:43

Hi James,

Sorry for later reply due to my busy work. I checked Suse RPM: I am
using SuSe 9.1 (kernel 2.6.4-52-smp), pam RPM version is 0.77-221. I use
"rpm -ql pam" command, there is no /etc/security/console.perm file exist
in the computer which exist in Fedora Core 2/3 and Mandrake.

The command "rpm -ql pam" output is as followed:

"/etc/pam.d
/etc/pam.d/other
/etc/securetty
/etc/security
/etc/security/access.conf
/etc/security/group.conf
/etc/security/limits.conf
/etc/security/pam_env.conf
/etc/security/time.conf
/lib/*
/lib/security/*
/usr/share/doc/*
/usr/share/man/*"

I tested normal user login, login session (KDE) always change the audio
(/etc/snd/*) permission to 600, and owner to current user. Is there ways
I can work around it?

Thanks.

Rocky

Rocky Zhang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a computer running with SuSe 9.1, KDE desktop. And I connected
2
> USB audio headsets to my computer. I found that before user log in,
the
> audio devices (such as /dev/dsp*, /dev/snd/*) owner is root:audio,
> permission is 660; After one user log in, all the audio device files
> change owner to $USER:audio, permission change to 600, so another
users
> can't have permission to use the USB headset.  How can I prevent it
> ( keep audio device owner always root, and permission is 660)?

> I know in Gnome, it's a configuration file
( /etc/security/console.perm)
> that you can edit to prevent normal session login change audio device
> owner. Is there a similar file in KDE? Where is it?

This isn't GNOME or KDE, it is PAM (a system level configuration).

You make the same change for either one:

<console>  0660 <sound>      0660 root.audio

Users that are allowed to use audio must be members of the group:
"audio".

--
JRT