List:       kde-linux
Subject:    RE: [kde-linux] simple question
From:       <steve.goodey () bt ! com>
Date:       2005-02-02 9:18:31

Is this of any help? The last line suggests it's foolproof (quickly
ducks). Steve

Copied from
http://docs.kde.org/en/HEAD/kdebase/faq/install.html#id2862660

4.4.  Description of the base packages

 The base distribution currently consists of twenty packages. Some are
required, while others are optional. Each package is available in each
of the aforementioned package formats.

kdelibs
Required

This package contains shared libraries that are needed by all KDE
applications.

kdebase
Required

This package contains the base applications that form the core of the K
Desktop Environment like the window manager, the terminal emulator, the
control center, the file manager, and the panel.

aRts
Required

The aRts sound server. A powerful, network transparent sound server.

kdeaddons
Optional

Various plugins for Kate, Kicker, KNewsTicker, Konqueror and Noatun

kdeartwork
Optional

Additional wallpapers, themes, styles, sounds ...

kdebindings
Optional

Various bindings for other languages, including Java(tm), Perl, Python,

kdegames
Optional

Various games like KMahjongg, KSnake, KAsteroids, and KPatience.

kdegraphics
Optional

Various graphics-related programs like PostScript(r) previewer, DVI
previewer, and a drawing program.

kdeutils
Optional

Various desktop tools like a calculator, an editor and other nifty
stuff.

kdemultimedia
Optional

Multimedia applications like a CD player and a mixer.

kdenetwork
Optional

Network applications. Currently contains the instant messaging client
Kopete, the download manager KGet, and several other network-related
programs.

kdepim
Optional

Personal information management tools. Contains the email client KMail,
the newsreader KNode and other related programs.

kdeadmin
Optional

System administration programs.

kdeedu
Optional

Educational and entertaining applications for KDE's younger users.

kdeaccessibility
Optional

KDE accessibility programs such as a screen magnifier and speech
synthesizer front end.

kdetoys
Optional

Toys!

kdevelop
Optional

A complete Integrated Development Environment for KDE and Qt

kdewebdev
Optional

Web development applications. Contains such applications as Quanta, an
integrated web development environment and other applications useful in
web development

kdesdk
Optional

KDE Software Development Kit. Contains a collection of applications and
tools used by KDE Developers.

aRts and then kdelibs should be installed before everything else, and
kdeaddons last. The other packages can be installed in any arbitrary
order.

Most package management tools will let you put all these packages in one
folder and install them all at once, figuring out the dependencies as
they go.