List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] UTF-8 characters aren't displayed properly
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-02-02 1:20:39

Alexander Skwar wrote:
> Hello!
>
> When I write or read a message in KNode, some of the UTF-8
> characters aren't displayed properly. For example, in
> my signature, I've got the characters "♘♞♟♙♖♜"; those
> characters are displayed as black boxes.

This is probably a font issue.  The UniCode characters: 2654H through
265fH are not in every font.

> In KNode, I set "Terminus" as the font that's to be used
> in the composer.

I don't know for sure what that font is, but it probably doesn't have
those characters.

> I use the same .signature in Thunderbird. There, I see
> the characters properly,

It appears that Thunderbird is better at searching for glyphs than Qt
is.  Unfortunately, there isn't any way to find out which font it is
using for a given glyph.

I couldn't find a mono spaced font on my system that had these except
for Fixed [Misc].  If you select that font in KMail, you should see the
characters.

Note, if you don't have that font available in KDE, your FontConfig
configuration is screwed up.

--
JRT