List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] UTF-8 characters aren't displayed properly
From:       Alexander Skwar <listen () alexander ! skwar ! name>
Date:       2005-01-30 9:08:20

Hello!

When I write or read a message in KNode, some of the UTF-8
characters aren't displayed properly. For example, in
my signature, I've got the characters "♘♞♟♙♖♜"; those
characters are displayed as black boxes. See the screenshot
at http://alexander.skwar.name/details.php?image_id=1117

In KNode, I set "Terminus" as the font that's to be used
in the composer.

I use the same .signature in Thunderbird. There, I see
the characters properly, as you can see on the screenshot
at http://alexander.skwar.name/details.php?image_id=1118

I configured Thunderbird to use the "Terminus" font as well.

When I open the signature file in Kate, I also just see
black boxes. To get the fonts, I use the xfs font server.
I haven't configured any special fonts in Thunderbird.

Why is it, that some characters aren't displayed properly
in KDE applications, although the font has all the needed
"letters"? And how do I configure KDE so, that it displays
all the characters?

I'm using KDE 3.3.2 on Gentoo Linux.

Thanks a lot,

Alexander Skwar
--
I'm a lucky guy, and I'm happy to be with the Yankees.  And I want to
thank everyone for making this night necessary.