List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] Any answers for this dummy?
From:       "Logan Anderson" <logan () pc-therapist ! com>
Date:       2005-01-30 2:41:41

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

I have a motto that if it aint broke you can't fix it, not to be =
confused with if it aint boke don't fix it. With that in mind, maybe =
someone has some answers for me. I have mandrake 10.1 and I was running =
KDE. I tried to install the program airsnort (wireless cracker) so I =
could mess with my father in law a little. It came up and said I needed =
a newer version of GTK (GTK 2.0 I think). So I started trying to install =
different RPM's to get it working. Well several of them said they were =
conflicting or missing dependencies and so I just started doing rpm -i =
--force. I'm sure you can imagine what is happened. KDE wont run at all. =
I dont even remember what packages Ive installed. The question I have is =
this, what is the easiest way to get it installed without reinstalling =
the whole OS? Is there just a couple of basic RPMS I can go get and =
install just to put it back where it was? Im not concerned about saving =
any kind of data, I just would like to get it running KDE again. Now, if =
I run /etc/X11/prefdm then X starts, it just seems like it has no =
session managers. all I have is an xterm window and couple other things =
like that. I can run a few programs that run in X but most programs wont =
run and I cant seem to get into KDE or gnome.

Thanks for all the help,
Logan