List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] How to get new fonts folder to appear in
From:       "Larry Alkoff" <labradley () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2005-01-03 11:31:28

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:43:04 -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

>Larry Alkoff wrote:
>> I am using Slackware 10.0 and KDE 3.2.
>>
>> After copying over c:/windows/fonts/*.ttf to a new directory
>> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/win98fonts
>> the new fonts do not show up in Font Installer.
>>
>> The path to the new font directory is in /etc/fonts/local.conf.
>>
>> I've never used Font Installer - how can I make the new font folder appear?
>>
>> FWIW my local.conf and the steps I took to install the fonts is attached.
>
>Since FontConfig is recursive, you shouldn't need to add that directory.

How can I verify that the FontConfig library is _really_ recursive
considering that /etc/fonts/fonts.conf in Slackware contains entries for _all_ the subdirectories?

I'd also like to know what program or script runs when you click on Font Installer.
I cannot seem to bring it up in the Menu Editor.

>Did you open the Font Installer in the Control Center and then click
>the: "Administrator Mode" button at the bottom left of center?

I never saw that button until by chance I opened the CC from the K menu
instead of from the "wrench" icon.
When you open the CC from the "wrench" icon there is no such "Administrator Mode" button
but when I copied over the fonts a window popped up asking for the root password similiar
to what happens when I click "Administrator Mode".
>--
>JRT

Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX