List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] dir /s
From:       daniel <danstemporaryaccount () yahoo ! ca>
Date:       2004-10-28 16:48:43

On October 28, 2004 12:16 pm, Bahram Alinezhad wrote:
> In DOS, we can search for files inside a directory and
> all its sub-directories with "/s" switch in "dir"
> command; For example:
>
> dir *.sys c:\windows /s
>
> Why can't similar operation be done with "ls" in
> linux?

'cause linux has a better command.  it's called "find":

  $ man find

with it you can do neat stuff like search for files in <dir> matching
<pattern> and then execute programs using those results as arguments etc.
for what you asked for above, you can do this:

  $ find /path/to/wherever -name '*.sys'

--
Simon: You're out of your mind.
Jubel Early: That's between me and my mind.