List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] All-uppercase files on vfat
From:       J Hall <canllaith () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-10-28 16:26:08

On Friday 29 October 2004 05:17, Bahram Alinezhad wrote:
>> When a file with all-uppercase letters (e.g. README)
>> is saved on a vfat file system, it is shown as
>> all-lowercase letters (i.e. readme).

This is I believe because the operating systems that use vfat are not case
sensitive. Fat32 will 'remember' case by showing you files in say, Windows
Explorer in the case that you last left them but README is the same as readme
is the same as ReaDmE. The linux driver that allows you to access vfat
filesystems ignores case for these reasons.