List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Re: Has The performance been forgotten?
From:       andrew kar <akar3d () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2004-10-17 2:52:05

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 A bunch of people replied to my post

Ouch! Make that double Ouch!!  The first for sending a post that I should have
known would want many people wanting detail and the second for the cancer
just cut out of my right buttock (to much info :-)  ) that makes it
impossible to sit and reply properly!!

I find Mdk 9.2 with the Linux Format mag compiled kde3.2 one of the fastest
combinations around. FC2 and Suse are probably the slowest (irres of which
kde) despite FC2 using a 2.6 kernel with special patches. If 2.6 can serve
web pages 40% faster than why is kde with FC2 special kernel slower?  Yet FC2
has some simple changes as a desktop that make it objectively and
subjectively  faster.

This is an important area for kde so I invite people to join me in preparing a
guide that we can make as general as possible with distro-specific issue.

Anyone intrested should email me and I specifically invite JRT as no-one out
there understands the wider font issues as well as him but anyone can
contribute / test.

andrew