List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Re: Has The performance been forgotten?
From:       Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon () decoulon ! ch>
Date:       2004-10-09 16:07:55

On Saturday 09 October 2004 15:01, Trevor Smith wrote:

> I'm beginning to think about switching to another distro like Mandrake. If
> I did, and stopped using FC, how does that affect my ability to use RPMs?
> (I've never understood if these binaries are really distro-specific or
> not.)

AFAIK rpms are "simply" packages that "know" where to copy the binaries and
configuration files. As different distros are organised differently (e.g. kde
is in /usr on Mandrake (and probably Red Hat) but in /opt for SuSE), some
rpms for Mandrake may not work on others distros

However, other distributions may have other ways to install software, and some
may care better for dependancies - I had to learn apt-get on debian, but I
now I perfer it to rpm based systems

> > How about using an up to date Linux with a 2.6 kernel which has had many
> > speed improvements recently and an up to date kde and qt which has vastly
> > increased its speed due to optimisations since kde3.1.

If speed is a premium, it's worth to take a look at Gentoo. I think you can
hardly get more optimisation (and you learn a lot on the way).

Thierry

--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
sure about the former" - Albert Einstein