List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Re: Has The performance been forgotten?
From:       Werner Joss <werner () hoernerfranzracing ! de>
Date:       2004-10-09 16:00:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Samstag 09 Oktober 2004 17:01, Trevor Smith wrote:
> I will leave FC for a quicker KDE because it is far superior to Gnome, IMO,
> in terms of features, looks and usability.

ok, here is a last note from me w.regard to this topic:
where is the real advantage if konq starts in 0.5 sec instead of 3
(which it does here on my 1 ghz duron) ?
can anyone do any serious work within these 2.5 gained sec ?
aside from that, task switching is just a snap once the commonly used apps are
loaded, so I recommend just to put your favourite apps in your autostart
folder if you have a relative slow machine (provided enough RAM, of course).
as for the distro-debate,
things depend very much upon each ones experiences/preferences,
so there is no general advice which fits for all.
however, if you like kde, FC is not the best choice, because RH has a strong
tradition in crippling/ignoring kde.
others do have much better kde-support, like suse, mandrake...
debian's upcoming 'sarge' is also a good choice (it comes with kde 3.2.3),
since the
new installer removes most of the install-hurdles that woody still had.
with debian, you have apt as your package tool, which is IMHO one of the very
best out there for binary distros.
for those who always want to run latest software without sacrificing
stability, I recommend gentoo - I've never looked back since I left RH7.3 for
this ;-)

just my 0.02 ¤

werner