List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Re: Has The performance been forgotten?
From:       andrew kar <akar3d () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2004-10-09 12:31:05

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 06:22 pm, Bahram Alinezhad wrote:
> If a project is deflecting from the right path, It may
> be necessary to stop its development and revise some
> past steps.

Truly, Bahram,  as Werner says in his reply to you; You should learn the
issues and true situation and then comment.

There are so many factors to take into account that quoting your particular
measurements is irrelevant.
A lot is dependent on the particular distro for instance and your figures
appear horrifically skewed. 7 seconds for konsole? 15 for kwrite?

How about trying a distro that concentrates on optimising and compiling
efficiently. For instance although Mandrake and Redhat are the same base
there is a huge difference in speed.
On my system no kde application takes lomger than 1 second to launch and this
is an athlon 2600 with 256 Meg ram ( a medium to low level system by todays
standards).  My Pentium2 450 Meg system takes no longer than 2 to 3 seconds
for any kde app.
The only slow starters are things like OpenOffice and Mozilla.

How about using an up to date Linux with a 2.6 kernel which has had many speed
improvements recently and an up to date kde and qt which has vastly increased
its speed due to optimisations since kde3.1.  Use a limited set of fonts
because the hundreds of unnecessay fonts with most distros cause a large
delay.

Are we talking about REAL program load times or do we cheat and have most of
the app preloaded like windows does with Explorer, Internet Explorer and MS
Office? You have settings to preload your konqueror browser and file manager
windows and they too will come up instantaneously. If you use your konqueror
windows for applications and control-centre like FC2s' "start-here" then they
become the equivalent of the MS ones and will come up instantly but if you
want the integrated glossary and online help then you need to open the kde
control-centre but please dont compare oranges and apples.

As to boot times once again you are comparing oranges and apples. On most
distros the linux boot is detecting new and changed hardware and configuring
the system which XP does AFTER the boot and usually requires a reboot except
for hot-pluggable devices. Have you turned all your relevant services OFF for
the comparison or are you comparing a MS home OS with a Linux system which is
by default a professional networking environment with inbuilt
terminal-services etc? Perhaps you should be comparing it with a MS
Professional system or else using a stripped down linux.

Now, do we compile for 386, 586 Athlon or P4? Do we strip our binaries or do
we leave all the debug stuff in because linux is a self evolving community
that likes to be able to analyse,contribute and improve its software under
diverse and varied conditions?

There is plenty of room for improvement in linux and kde and massive strides
have been made recently but lets look at the real issues and not be so
simplistic as to compare A to B and above all to remember the diversity of
linux; You can put together a stripped linux gui system that beats MS hands
down in a boot-time; performance and speed comparison but that is to get
caught in a pedantic and backward debate.   Just show someone Knoppix or
Mandrake-Move where they can take their OS with them on a CD or USB stick
and plug into ANY computer and autodetect configure and setup the hardware
without chasing up drivers and they are usually sold.

You only have to compare the different linux distros to each other to see how
much configuration affects things. Even distros that are the same base can be
vastly different in speeds. RH FC2 and Mandrake 10 should be about the same
yet the RH implementation of KDE is painfully slow compared to Mdk10. This
could be deliberate (RH is pro-Gnome) but I think it is just badly
configured.

andrew