List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Has The performance been forgotten?
From:       Patrick Trettenbrein <patrick.trettenbrein () gmx ! net>
Date:       2004-10-09 10:43:09

I can't believe you, that linux is so slow and windows is so fast? My machine
(1,4 Ghz) boots in 29 seconds, but it's only so slow because I've starting a
lot of server daemons at startup (for example: apache, mysql, postfix,...).
I'm using SuSE Linux 9.1 and of course, in the standard insallation suse is
not so fast, but that's the result of starting daemons on startup nobody
needs, but thats a problem of SuSE. Starting KDE on my machine tooks 8
Seconds, so my machine ist started up succesfully after 37 seconds. I dont't
think, that this is so slow!

In your textfile you wrote that windows boots 9 seconds after login. Thats
maybe right, but when you're running a server or other daemons they'll
started if you log into the system. So windows loggs you in, but you can't
use the system for 1 more minute, because all damemons and applications are
startet... and if you've got programms in your "Autorun" folder... maybe you
can't use it for 2 minutes...

No harm meant! - This is youst my opinion!

What I wanted to say is just: Every system is so fast you've configured it!

Patrick