List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] desktop icon
From:       andrew kar <akar3d () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2004-10-02 12:14:46

lesser@helix.nih.gov wrote:

>Hi,
>
>  I am a new subscriber to this list and I have been using
>KDE on my linux laptop exclusively for 2 years or so.
>However at work I usually work with IRIX or OSF1. This is
>related to my question: In those other x-managers, a minimization
>places an icon of the program on the desktop and I kind of
>like that. In KDE, I tried to reconfigure the taskmanager so
>that iconization does not send them into the taskbar. I was
>unsuccessful. Is it possible to configure it so that when
>programs are minimized they show up as icons on the desktop ?
>
>Thanks.
>
>L.
>PS: RedHat Linux 8.0, not sure which version of KDE though.

You can do this in various ways... You do not need to use the window
manager that comes default with kde but instead use one more to your
liking that minimises to an icon such as windowmaker or fvwm or anything
you like probably even the same wm that you are used to. It is easy to
tell kde to use another wm, just browse the archives as it has been
explained tons of times.

Alternatively keep the standard kde WM but remove the task bar (it is a
panel applet like the other things) then right-click on the kicker panel
and add the xxxx (damn I cant remember its name and im not in kde at the
moment) anyhow its in the same place as the dock app bar and external
taskbar but it is a sort of icon based taskbar where you can hover over
the icons for a sizable view of whatever that app is actually upto
(great for icons of apps on other desktops) and you can set how many
rows/columns as well as other things.

andrew