List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] .kde/Autostart mechanism
From:       andrew kar <akar3d () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2004-07-28 12:39:48

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 01:44 am, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Setup:
> OS = Linux Fedora Core 3
> Kde = kde-3.2
>
> I've been using the Autostart feature by placing symlinks in
> ~/.kde/Autostart to programs I want to run on startup.
>
> I wanted emacs to run but with certain flags so I wrote a wrapper
> script like:
>
> cat emacs.wrp
>   #!/bin/ksh
>   emacs -bg somecolor -fg somecolor2 /home/reader
>
> Set it chmod 755 and then put a symlink to it in ~/.kde/Autostart
>
> However, when I start kde, instead of getting emacs running with
> those args I get a Kwrite window showing the contents of emacs.wrp.
>
> What's going on here?

The Autostart folder is for application and desktop link files as far as
I know; not for generic linux symlink and hardlinks. To autostart an
application you dragdrop copy or link it from kicker, the menu or the
Goto menu Applications folder from a konq file manager. The correct way
to do what you want in a desktop environment like kde or gnome is to
create an application link   xxxx.desktop file;  edit it with your
arguments and then put it in the Autostart folder.
In KDE; drag and copy the emacs.desktop fro the kde menu to the desktop
or right-click the desktop and choose Create New / File /Link to
application. Give it a name like emacs2 and an icon if you want; Then
in the application tab browse to the emacs executable and add your
arguments; give it a description and comment if you want; If you need
to go to advanced options to run it as SU or another user or run in a
terminal then OK.
This emacs2.desktop file is then moved or linked into the Autostart
file.

I know diehard oldtimers have a problem with these desktop links but
they are a necessity when you are running an integrated multilingual
desktop environment where apps inherit a lot more capabilities and
options from the desktop environment than traditional links can cope
with.

--
regards,

andrew