On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 01:44 am, Harry Putnam wrote: > Setup: > OS = Linux Fedora Core 3 > Kde = kde-3.2 > > I've been using the Autostart feature by placing symlinks in > ~/.kde/Autostart to programs I want to run on startup. > > I wanted emacs to run but with certain flags so I wrote a wrapper > script like: > > cat emacs.wrp > #!/bin/ksh > emacs -bg somecolor -fg somecolor2 /home/reader > > Set it chmod 755 and then put a symlink to it in ~/.kde/Autostart > > However, when I start kde, instead of getting emacs running with > those args I get a Kwrite window showing the contents of emacs.wrp. > > What's going on here? The Autostart folder is for application and desktop link files as far as I know; not for generic linux symlink and hardlinks. To autostart an application you dragdrop copy or link it from kicker, the menu or the Goto menu Applications folder from a konq file manager. The correct way to do what you want in a desktop environment like kde or gnome is to create an application link xxxx.desktop file; edit it with your arguments and then put it in the Autostart folder. In KDE; drag and copy the emacs.desktop fro the kde menu to the desktop or right-click the desktop and choose Create New / File /Link to application. Give it a name like emacs2 and an icon if you want; Then in the application tab browse to the emacs executable and add your arguments; give it a description and comment if you want; If you need to go to advanced options to run it as SU or another user or run in a terminal then OK. This emacs2.desktop file is then moved or linked into the Autostart file. I know diehard oldtimers have a problem with these desktop links but they are a necessity when you are running an integrated multilingual desktop environment where apps inherit a lot more capabilities and options from the desktop environment than traditional links can cope with. -- regards, andrew ___________________________________________________ This message is from the kde-linux mailing list. Account management: https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-linux. Archives: http://lists.kde.org/. More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.