List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] what are crypto plug-ins?
From:       Trevor Smith <trevor () haligonian ! com>
Date:       2004-07-25 22:13:37

OK, I have gpg set up, and I can easily encrypt a message, sign a message,
decrypt or verify a signature.

But what are crypto-plug-ins?
Why would I want to use them?
Why are they nearly impossible to figure out how to even enable?

I have been to the "PGP-MIME how to set up", Agyten, KMail FAQ, and many other
web sites and have not been able to:

1 find any understandable statement about what they *do*
2 find any setup instructions that work

yet some messages sent to this list show that:

The message is signed, but the validity of the signature can't be verified.
Reason: No appropriate crypto plug-in was found.

so clearly someone is using them...

But seriously, if there is no simple, easily found statement that says, "This
is what these things are, this is why you would want to use them and this is
how to install them..." then there are some (probably) very smart people
somewhere that are missing some very fundamental and important steps in
development.

I refer all those who are interested and those who are responsible to the
Plain English Campaign: http://www.plainenglish.co.uk