List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] no sound in 3.3-beta2 compiled from source
From:       andrew kar <akar3d () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2004-07-24 11:20:54

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 02:53 pm, Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
> p.s.  i'm using fedora core 2 and when i run system-config-soundcard,
> it detects my soundcard properly, but no sound is played when i press
> the "play test sound" button.  is this expected behavior since arts
> "takes control" of the sound system?

Well before recompiling everything have you looked at the obvious? ie
alsa defaults to the volume turned off. First thing to do is to know
what sound system you are using and that the modules are loaded and
that the volume is not at zero. The system-config should tell you if it
is using the ALSA or the OSS driver and then arts should be set
accordingly. Then use kmix or alsamixer to turn the volume up and of
course in the kde control-centre you want to make sure that you have
sound notification turned on.
--
regards,

andrew