List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Problems after installing KDE 3.2.3 on SuSE 9.0
From:       "Roy J. Tellason" <rtellason () blazenet ! net>
Date:       2004-07-16 18:29:32

On Friday 16 July 2004 02:03 pm, Michael Matthews wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 July 2004 07:22, Wolfram.Wagner@web.de wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have installed KDE 3.2.3 on my SuSE 9.0 (upgrade from KDE 3.2.2) using
> > the rpms released by SuSE yesterday.  It is running, but I have got some
> > problems:
> >
> > (1) Konsole did not start
> > It came up with a message that
> > /opt/kde3/share/applications/konsole.desktop contains invalid
> > definitions. I checked this file and found an invalid DCOP entry near the
> > end of that file by trial and error. I also found the entry test=foo,bar
> > After I had removed the DCOP entry Console was worked again.
> >
> > (2) Running a program using a different account
> > Programs that need to be run as root (e.g. YaST) do not start. Nothing
> > happends even, the dialog that asks for the password does not appear. If
> > I start the program from console they start as usual.
>
> Probably kdesu. I know Mandrake puts in another option that is not in KDE
> dist, thus command fails with invalid option. Not sure how you can confirm
> unless you know acual command invoked.

Re:  Knowing the actual command invoked...

I've run top on tty8 on every machine that I have going here,  and have done
this for a long time.  It's handy for a number of reasons (including being
able to kill a wayward process,  if it comes to that).

I discovered a while back the option to "show the command line" in there.
This helps a lot instead of me seeing many,  many instances of "kdeinit" and
having no clue what they were all for.

Now if someone could point me to where I could find out what all those
commandline options _mean_,  I'd appreciate it!