List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] kdevelop via apt-get
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-04-29 17:37:18

supi sepp wrote:
> I want to install kdevelop with an apt-get install kdevelop
> I get the error message
>
> file /etc/makedev.d/alsa from install of alsa-driver-1.0.4-1 conflicts
> with file from package MAKEDEV-3.3.13-1
>
> When I delete /etc/makedev.d/alsa, the conflict still appears. I'm using
> Fedora FC1with a self built kernel 2.6.5. What is the problem?

You have two packages that actually conflict with each other (have files
with the same names in the same locations).  This happens rarely with RPM,
but it does happen.  If using RPM from the command line, use:

	RPM -Uvh --replacefiles <package>

You will then have the files in question from the package you installed
last.  If that is not satisfactory, do it again with the other package:

	RPM -Uvh --replacefiles --force <package>

NOTE: reinstalling a package that is already installed is the ONLY time
that I recommend using the: "--force" option unless you are VERY sure that
you know what you are doing.

--
JRT