List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Upgrading to KDE 2.0
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2004-03-04 14:22:02

John di Stefano wrote:

> I am running at the time SUSE 9.0 with KDE 3.14 and want to upgrade to KDE
> 2.0, but I must say it is not as straight forward as I thought.
> There are so many different packages and I don't know which one to install
> first.
> YAST 2 is not much of a help either.
> Can anybody give me an easy run-down how to proceed?

It's a bit tricky to do this - but the method is:

  * make sure you do the upgrade as root in a console window while no KDE
session is active (a KDE session will crash if you are upgrading Qt and KDE
libs) and use the NCurses version of YaST to do the upgrade - but before you go
to console mode you might set up YaST in GUI mode b/c it is easier ;-)
  * in YaST go to the "Software -> Change Source of Installation" tab
  * add a mirror of the KDE supplement yast-sources dir to the installation
sources (e.g., "Add -> FTP", Server name "ftp.gwdg.de", Directory
"/pub/linux/suse/ftp.suse.com/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_9.0/yast-source",
Authentication "Anonymous")
  * Use the "up" / "down" buttons to make sure this is the top "source" in the
source media list
  * You can then use "Software -> Online update" or perhaps "Software -> Install
/ Remove Software" to upgrade KDE

Ciao,

Dre