List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] Xlib: Maximum number of clients reached
From:       John Hicks <johnlist () gulfbridge ! net>
Date:       2003-11-27 21:42:35

My RedHat 9 KDE 3.1-12 desktop has been failing to
launch Konqueror and Kwrite. When I try to launch them
from the command line, I get:
prompt> konqueror
Xlib: Maximum number of clients reached
konqueror: cannot connect to X server :0

This is a nice, fast machine with a full GB of memory.
I was looking forward to keeping a lot of windows
opened.

When this last occurred, I counted 24 windows open
under KDE (in eight desktops). Is this an excessive
number (and therefore the reason for the problem) ?

If so, where is the maximum number of X clients set?
Can it be changed short of recompiling?

If not, what troubleshooting steps do you recommend? Is
there any kind of KDE error log?

Thanks in advance,

--John